In today’s websites a very important element is images. These can include illustrations, photo backgrounds, pictures of the company’s team, posts featuring images, portfolios, online shops, galleries, catalogs and pictures of big heroes. There are many advantages of images which are:
- These bring more reality to things.
- These help in supporting the personality of a brand.
- These help in generating empathy and identification.
- These help in setting a mood.
- Pictures tell a story.
- These help in conveying an idea.
- These are attractive.
Now I am going to tell you how to optimize images for your website and make them work on all devices.
What is the requirement of image optimization for your website?
Standard web page’s 30 to 85 % size is taken by images. These are responsible for consuming bandwidth and disk space in a significant amount. But we cannot remove the pictures because it does not solve the problem. For freeing up the disk space we can do the optimization of images. It will help you a lot with the pictures that repeat with loading of the web pages and these include icons, logos, design elements and backgrounds. It is possible to cut 70%+ page size if you optimize a single background image. Also, for mobile visitors and desktop visitors we can’t use the same pictures because their screen sizes are different. It has been found that achieving conversions is easy if we use a smaller number of pictures in mobile designs. Now when using multiple devices to deliver responsive images you have to take care of certain things:
- For the particular device you need to optimize pictures
- In order to increase the loading speed of the page you have to compress the pictures to the greatest possible extent.
- For the screen of a particular device, you need to consider displaying pictures in an optimal number
Optimization of images and delivering them across various types of devices
1. Choose the correct format – The two most popular formats are JPG and PNG. A large number of individuals think that JPG is best. However, we cannot say that it is always true.
JPG vs PNG
Bandwidth and disk space requirements are less in JPGs. The JPG format is good if there are color transitions and a large number of colors are present in a complex image. JPG formats work better in standard photos. On the other hand, PNG format is better for simpler images.
WebP and SVG
The website can use image types that are less common and these are WebP and SVG.
- An image format that is vector and XML-based is SVG. The simple XML file can define the image contents. Now for the purpose of data processing you can use the same XML file. Thus, for simple vector images a format that is good is SVG.
- Google gave a new image format known as WebP. As compared to PNGs, WebP is 26 % percent smaller in size and in comparison with JPEGs it is 25-34 % smaller.
2. Compress the images – It is like magic to compress the pictures . You can take the help of various tools to compress JPG images.
- On Mac you can compress the image on desktop by using ImageOptim. The tool will work after dragging the picture from the desktop and dropping it into the tool. It will help in overwriting the source image. After that it will upload the image on the website.
- Optimole is the other tool. It helps in redefining the image handling on a site.
3. Present pictures of correct dimensions – You have to ensure that the images fit to screens of all sizes. But how will you do this? Always select a big picture. It can be reduced to the image of any size to fit various screens. Usually, a 1100 px image is the biggest to be used in any website. Now for mobile and tablet 550 px and 800 px images can be created by reducing the bigger image.
If you are interested in developing mobile apps, developing software, getting SEO services and designing a website then it will be good for you to contact a web development company. It can also provide you the services of SEO and digital marketing at affordable rates.